Welcome to Elm Class
We are a mixed Year 4 and Year 5 class. Here you will find information about our class and the learning that we will be doing this term. Our teacher is Miss Flynn and our learning partners are Miss Purveur and Miss Pearce. Miss Hodge will be teaching Elm class on a Tuesday to cover Miss Flynn.
- PE is on a Friday. Please make sure your child wears their correct PE kit into school and any jewelry is removed.
- Reading books and records must be in school every day. Please ensure your child reads at least 3 days a week at home and sign their reading record with the date, who they have read to and how many minutes they have read for. Any other comments about their reading are helpful but not essential. The children earn 2 pride points each time they read at home and they can spend these in the pride shop.
- Homework will be set on a Friday and is to be completed by the following Friday. This will include spellings each week. Some weeks children will have other homework including times tables or reviewing something they have learnt in class.
- Please ensure your child’s belongings are labelled clearly with their name and they have a drinks bottle in school.
Spring Term 1
- Guided Reading: We are improving our comprehension skills and learning how to answer VIPERS questions. Our book this term is Wonder by R.J.Palacio.
- English: We are focusing on Wonder in English too. We will be using this text to write our own fiction stories. We will be writing this story in first-person based on a character who overcomes challenges. We will also be writing to inform through writing an explanation text on what Treacher Collins syndrome is. Finally, we will be writing a poem on friendship and bullying.
- Maths: We will all be learning to measure the perimeter and area of shapes – Year 5 children will also learn about estimating volume and capacity. We will then move on to multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1,000 and converting between measurements. Next, we will learn how to add and subtract fractions – Year 5 children will start to multiply fractions. Finally, this term we will be learning about time including how to convert between 12-hour time and 24-hour time and solving problems involving time.
- Science: We will be learning about forces.
Our Foundation Subjects
- History: We will be learning about Mayans.
- DT: We will be learning about cooking. We will be making soup at the end of this term.
- PE: Our focus this term is Dance.
- Computing: We will be learning about spreadsheets and creating our own.
- French: We will be learning the parts of our body.
- PSHE: Our focus this term is ‘Dreams and Goals’.
- RE: We are learning about Hinduism. Our key question this term is, ‘How can Brahman be everywhere and in everything?’
- Music: We will be listening to and learning about a piece of classical music called Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven. We will learn how to play a section of this song on keyboards.
We look forward to telling you all about our fantastic learning.
Have a look at our Class Blog here